Highlighted in this segment are various questions that the teacher uses during class to encourage and guide students' understanding and reasoning. The teacher questions students in different situations, one on one, small group, and large grup. The questions have different purposes and consequences.
The focus is on the kinds of questions and for what purposes the teacher asks and how the teacher listens to and interprets the responses.
All clips orginate in the same week, when students were studying Bits and Pieces II, Investigation 3 in CMP2 (Let's Be Rational, Investigation 2 in CMP3 is the equivalent).
- Chapter 1
- Chapter 2
- Chapter 3
- Chapter 4
- Chapter 5
- Chapter 6
- Chapter 7
- Chapter 8
- Problem 3.1
- Estimate products of fractions
- Use models to represent the product of two fractions
- Understand that finding a fraction of a number means multiplication
- Develop and use strategies and models for multiplying combinations of fractions, whole numbers, and mixed numbers to solve problems
- Determine when multiplication is an appropriate operation
- Explore the relationships between two numbers and their product
- Develop and use an efficient algorithm to solve any fraction multiplication problem
- Video Transcript
- Suggestions for organizing Professional Development